Url shortening is the process of masking URL to make it easier to share or hide the original link. Other than that the Link Shorteners are now used as a way to make money. This process is made possible by connecting online advertising to regular link shortener techniques. Learn what is URL shortener and how it can help you make money online.
Making money through shortened URLs is simple than paid to click. Because you don’t have to work daily to earn money. To earn money, all you’ve to do is shorten the links and place the links in a site with more traffic and let it make money for you as long as you can make the traffic live. The main benefit of URL shortening is you can earn money even via social media* (Facebook, Twitter, etc) if you don’t have a traffic source of your own like a blog. In this article, I will tell you how url shortener works and what is the use of url shortening. Also, learn how to earn money through URL shorteners.
What is URL Shortener?
URL shortening is a process of shortening a long url into a short one. For example, genuineonlinefreejobs.com can be shortened as shorturl.com/gofj.
URL cannot be shortened manually, because it will not work. So, url is shortened through the tool called url shortener.
URLs are shortened for various reasons of which some of them are as follows,
- The number one reason people use Link shorteners is to mask the URLs. They do it for various reasons like people should not see the exact URL, masking because URL is too long, etc.
- The other main reason for the shrinking URL is to measure traffic by using the Url shortening technology.
- It is used for advertising and promotional campaigns purposes by companies.
- Now URL shortening techniques are used to make money by monetizing the original link by shortening it with the help of URL shortener sites.
What is the Use of URL Shortening?
There are several uses of suing the URL shortening,
URL is mainly shortened using services like Bitly to automatically count the number of clicks made per url i.e. it is helpful for webmasters to find how many visitors (unique & repeated) have clicked a particular link. So, they can calculate the number of visitors visited the linked page.
For example: If I post an article link(Ex. genuineonlinefreejob.com/article) on Facebook, I cannot get complete details about how many visitors had visited my website. Instead, if I use a shortened url(ex. bit.ly/gofjarticle), I can track demographics (like time, country, etc)of my visitors.
This information is used by webmasters to improve their website, calculate their sales percentage, etc.
A nice example: Amazon.com posts a link to a new smartphone sale on Facebook. Interested people would click the link. But, only a few would buy the product. This will help amazon.com to calculate the sales percentage from Facebook visitors.
The links posted by big companies will not earn money for them instead only it is used only to get visitors’ count.
The money can be earned through url shortening that shows intermission ads.
What is the Use of URL Shorteners?
As said earlier, url cannot be shortened directly by ourselves. It can be done only through a tool called url shortener.
Url shorteners will generate a unique link as shown in the picture below.
This shortened url will be saved in the link shortener’s web server. Whenever someone clicks the link, a count will be added automatically. It also counts the unique and repeated visitors. If a visitor clicks the link 3 times in a day, the URL shortener will count it as one unique click and 2 repeated click.
Find part-time jobs – Snagajob review.
Types of URL Shorteners:
1. Non – advertising url shortener: The nonadvertising url shortener is just used for visitors counting and they will not pay you if somebody clicks the link (Example: Google’s goo.gl).
2. Advertising url shortener: Advertising url shorteners pays you money if somebody clicks the link that is shortened using it. This is done by displaying interstitial ads and Pop-under ads before the person reaches the destination URL.
Related article – CPC advertising networks.
How do the URL Shortening Services able to Pay Money:
Advertising URL shorteners do not pay you simply if someone clicks your shortened URL.
They pay you for displaying ads in between called interstitial ads. For example, your website is A and the target website is B. When someone clicks a link in A before they reach B an intermission ad will be displayed for 5 seconds. Once 5 seconds completes the visitor can continue to the target website using the skip ad button.
They pay you in terms of eCPM i.e. rate per thousand clicks or impression. For example: If your link receives thousands of clicks, the link publisher will get $10(varies according to geographical locations).
Survey ads will have high eCPM.
Click here to get a clear idea about how URL shortening monetization works.
How to Earn Money Using Link Shorteners:
- You can earn money easily if you own a website.
- You can earn money even though you don’t have a website.
- Click the link given at the end to learn about making money through a url shortener without owning a website and how to earn money through Facebook.
You might like reading – Offline part-time jobs without investment.
Referral Programs of URL Shorteners:
- You can earn hundreds of dollars through their potential referral program.
- Once you join a url shortening site. Refer your friends to the Link shortener services. Let them earn for you.
- The referral commission will vary according to the site.
- Few sites pay a 5 level referral commission. If you refer people to those sites you will commission from referral’s referral, referral’s referral’s referral…
So, how much you can earn (if the site pays 20% commission)
If you’ve 10 referrals and if each earns $5 per day you will get $1 * 10 = $10 referral commission per day.
If you’ve 100 referrals and if each earns $5 per day you will get $1 * 100 = $100 referral commission.
* Social media blocks a few shortened URL.
You might like this – Get paid to watch videos.
Continue to read more about URL Shorteners:
I hope you would have got an idea about what is URL shortener, continue to learn more about link shorteners and find the list of best link shorteners to make money,