Nowadays, there are many opportunities available to work online from home as an online transcriptionist due to the huge demand for freelance transcriptionists. You can simply make $10 – $20 an hour by transcribing at an average speed. People with good listening and conversion skills can succeed in a freelance transcription career.
Anything that is tough to start, but after starting and gaining experience, it will be much easier – this strategy applies to the online and offline transcription job.
Continue reading the article to learn the basics of online transcription jobs and list the best sites to find home-based transcription jobs.
What is Transcription?
Transcription is the process of converting the file from the oral(audio) form to the written(text) form. In simple it is the conversion of audio (incl. video recording) to a written document. This is a type of data entry job.
According to the nature of the job, you will be asked to enter converted information in MS office word, skype, physical paper, or specially designed transcription software.
There are two types of transcription work – Real-time data transcription jobs and offline transcription jobs (incl. direct offline transcription).
Real-time transcription involves audio to text conversion online instantly at that time. Mostly for these jobs, people will be directly recruited by companies through interviews. This job is also available for freelancers, but only people with the best skills in processing 200 – 300 WPM can qualify.
In the case of non-real-time, the recorded files will be transcribed. Here, it includes offline conversion, online conversion, etc.
You might like this – How to invest Bitcoin safe.
Requirements and Eligibility to do Transcription Jobs:
- Each company has various requirements for online transcription jobs. However, these qualities are mandatory for a good transcriptor.
- To qualify for this work the basic requirement is listening skills. You should be able to understand the recording and transcribe it instantly. This applies to all languages.
- Average transcriptors can process 70 WPM. This is the required level of most companies.
- You should have good grammatical skills. You should very well know how to use punctuation marks, sentences, etc.
- Technical jobs like medical transcription require special qualifications like an associate degree and experience.
- To work from home you should own a PC with high-end earphones.
- The transcriptionist should have all other required tools to carry out the transcription jobs.
Recommended article – Website testing jobs.
Types of Transcription Jobs Explained:
These are some of the examples of online and offline transcription jobs.
Standard Transcription Jobs:
This is the job for beginners and advanced transcriptionists. This type of transcription job is specially designed for beginners.
Offline transcription jobs including non-real-time, Pre-recorded voice transcribing, and recorded video transcribing are the jobs that will be assigned for beginners.
For every company, as a beginner, you should qualify for the basic assessment.
To join this job you should join a transcription website or submit your proposal to the company. After assessment and review, the client will hire you.
Learn about – Best payment options for freelancers.
Transcription Reviewer Job:
If you are experienced in transcription, you can work as a transcription reviewer from home.
A transcription reviewer will review the work done by the other transcriptionists and find the errors, accuracy level, grammatical mistakes, etc.
Companies pay a huge amount for transcription reviewers on an hourly and number of document basis similar to Snagajob. To become a reviewer you must have working experience as a transcriptionist.
Get hired as a freelance transcriptor, improve your skills and experience, then apply for the transcription reviewer job. Clients will expect the transcriptionist with years of experience to be a reviewer.
You may like to read this – Apps that pay you money.
Legal Transcription Job:
Legal transcription is the process of converting the voice of legal professionals like magistrates to text documents.
To do this job you don’t need any special qualifications. To apply for this job the person should have good skills in every aspect.
In some cases, only qualified professionals with a degree in the Legal department will be eligible to do the legal transcription jobs.
Speed and accuracy are very important for the Legal Transcription job.
Medical Transcription Job:
In the case of a medical transcription job, the medical professional will have to transcribe the words dictated by the physician.
These are the requirement for this job – certification in the medical field, good accuracy in language and grammar, medical terms, stress management, high concentration, etc.
Only experienced medical transcriptionists will get a home-based transcription job to work from home.
Recommended article – Survey sites that pay up to $5 per survey.
Offline Transcription Job:
This job can be found in local companies, especially in the USA. Qualified workers will be hired and will be paid on a project basis.
Data will be provided offline you have to transcribe the data and submit the result to the company.
Companies will allow working from home, also direct dealing will help to prevent scams.
Make use of the offline transcription job opportunities to earn money from home.
Remote Jobs – Contract-Based:
Work for a company or a client from home or a remote place on a contract-based or hourly basis.
Find the hiring company on the remote jobs marketplaces like SmartWorkersHome, and apply for the remote transcription jobs to work at your convenience.
You can set your terms in the contract or work on the terms of the client or the company.
How to Find Online Transcription Jobs:
Find online and offline transcription jobs through various sources mentioned below.
Part-time Transcription Job:
Find part-time transcription jobs at Snagajob.
Freelance Marketplaces to Find Clients:
Find clients on the freelance sites mentioned below,
Micro Jobs sites:
Find micro tasks related to transcription on the micro-jobs sites. No skills and certifications are needed. Direct access to transcription tasks.
Pros and Cons of Transcription Jobs:
- Online transcription jobs are one of the reliable ways to make money online without investment.
- One of the highest paying online jobs compared to other job opportunities.
- Work from home, or remote place based on your convenience.
- No commitments unless the work can be completed within the time for offline transcription jobs.
- Professional transcriptionist earns thousands of dollars per month like people make money blogging.
- The Internet is a great place for beginners and people with zero experience to start their careers as a freelancer.
- Now it’s possible to work using mobile phone in selected companies.
- Huge competition since the internet is an open opportunity for people worldwide.
- The ratio of job seekers is too high and the ratio of transcription job providers is too low. Hence the transcription job availability is less.
- Have to pass a few tests to prove the reliability.
Veed Transcription Tool is a great option out there for those looking for a way to make money online
You might like – 10 home-based business ideas with low investments.